Tuesday 15 May 2012

Learning from the past is the key to future.

As I sat there glued infront of my laptop (I thought it was pointless to watch the matches on telly since I thought the race was officially over last week), following the commentary for the Man.City vs QPR game with the full time moments away from being indicated, I barely could contain myself. The Citizens were losing 1-2. LOSING. And we, the Red Devils were moments, or rather a measly 3 minutes away from winning our 20th EPL title. 3 EFFING MINUTES! And City needed to score two more goals to overthrow us and pull off an upset. A MIRACLE in short. And yet I felt indifferent. Like something was wrong somewhere and things somehow won't favor us anymore. Why? Because I know we did not deserve to win the title this year despite having problems all season. Does that make me a bad fan? To have felt all those stuff when I'm supposed to be a through and through die-hard supporter? I don't think so but that's EXACTLY what happened. City managed to pull off the comeback of the decade in the dying milliseconds of the game and FINALLY win the title. That was it. It was gone in a flash.
GAME OVER! How they managed it, I haven't a notion. Though I was expecting it, I was still shell-shocked. City was throwing the kitchen sink at old Sparky's team after they conceded the second goal but to no avail. Then a stoppage time of 5 minutes was indicated. Some said it was too long, but I thought it was fair, owing it to the whole Barton fiasco and his sending off shortly after half-time. Still I never thought it was enough for City to make a totally unexpected comeback. For nearly 45 minutes, they struggled to penetrate the Rangers' parked bus behind the ball. It was like watching Barcelona and Chelsea playing all over again. Except in this case the attacking bunch triumphed. And how! As I was restlessly awaiting the commentary, my jaw dropped at the sight of these words -


90+2 - GOAL City!!! City with their 18th corner and Dzeko heads off the equalizer!!! CAN THEY SCORE THE WINNER!?? Lets wait and see.


Dzeko?? He was still alive? How in tarnation did a player, who last scored months back and went missing for several weeks, suddenly pop up from nowhere and score one of the most important goals he ever scored in his whole life?? My word! Still one goal wasn't enough for them I thought. Getting another goal is going to be tough for them I thought. But guess what the fate had in store?


90+4 - GOAL CITYYYYYYY!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!! Aguero scores a superb goal, weaving his way into the penalty box and firing past the stranded kenny! AMAZING scenes at Etihad!! And CITY HAS RESCUED IT AT THE DEATH IN THE MOST DRAMATIC CIRCUMSTANCES. WHAT A COMEBACK! AND THEY ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF ENGLAND!!!


At this point, I was frozen to the spot, my eyes nearly popping out and my jaw dropping even more, unable to believe those words flashing before my eyes. "What the flaming **** just happened here?" I remembered thinking then. And then the final whistle blew and the cup,which was practically safe and sound in our rightful hands minutes before, flew away to our damned neighbours' kennel. And this pretty much sums up how I felt then.

Unbelievable isn't it?
But I wasn't thinking about the match anymore. While most of United fans were drowned in bitter disappointment, I wasn't. Oddly. Why didn't I give a shit? Why wasn't I crying? Has the passion and anger that had flared inside me, when we had lost 1-6 at home to City and when we drew with Everton, disappeared? Its actually very simple. Things happened the way they were SUPPOSED to happen. Had City lost and we had lifted the title instead, people would be saying we got away with it, and the victory was purely fluke. But, after Sergio Aguero's miracle goal which was a winner both on the day and for the entire season, it felt like the right team were going to be crowned champions. We hoped for miracles. Being a United fan, its natural. But we depended on QPR to pull off a miracle. Like Owen did when we won 4-3, years back. And that's not right for us, is it?

As much as I wish Manchester United were the ones celebrating here,
they deserve it, hands down.
My thoughts flew to the matches weeks back. The ones we totally screwed up! Wigan, Everton and who else but City. As I recollected everything, it made sense. City deserving the title I mean. It hurts me to say this, but we needed the wake up call. We must learn to not depend on a singular person, as was the case during the match against Wigan when we badly missed Scholes. We must learn not to be complacent when we're well ahead during a match and that anything can happen, which we later witnessed at Etihad. I know I'm not supposed to question Sir Alex's decisions and tactics but I don't get him sometimes. The team he fielded against City, flocking the middle with 5 midfielders, each with flaws of their own, especially Park, didn't make sense at all. We were playing the game that could ultimately decide the title race and it boils down to two things that we should do. Or either. That we must either ATTACK or DEFEND. But we didn't do both. We were being overrun in midfield and our defenders were chasing shadows. Our passing and pushing up were totally pointless. Imagine not having a single shot on target. Anyways, the milk has gone stale and nothing can be done to change the past.Yes we could blame the injuries, blunder by refs and the over-reliance on Paul Scholes. But we musn't forget the games that spelled our fate either, the Everton and Wigan games in particular which came back to haunt us in the end. All we can do now is look back and learn from our mistakes. This could be a blessing in disguise. We learned it the hard way but it will make us stronger. I know we will rise again.


Also there was something else I observed. City's fans, some, are seriously a bunch of filthy hypocrites. Some were seen leaving the stadium during the last ten minutes of the game. Shameful isn't it? Well I guess that's what happens when you jump ships from Chelsea and City and still get shit results and decide to switch back just to hunt for glory. Absolute disgrace I call it. Bunch of soreheads. If you can't put a faith in a team and be with them till the final whistle is blown, well don't support any. If you can't share the agony and sorrow with your team, don't come back to share the joy. I can say the same about some United fans too, sadly.

What are we ever gonna do without him?



Yeah as long as he's loaded, he doesn't need any.
Who said money can't buy happiness?

Overall, it was the best EPL season ever in my opinion. What drama! What entertainment!! The adrenaline rush throughout the season was like never before. I'll post the best moments of the EPL 2011-2012 season soon. I hope next season will be the same or better :)


We survived when The Invincibles surfaced, we fought back the Russian Revolution and we will have our revenge against The Rising Blue Moon. Faith and belief is what being a Manchester United fan's all about. Manchester is blue for now but it will be painted its rightful colour soon-
 RED.

Till death do us apart. GGMU!



No comments:

Post a Comment